If you have a pleasant disposition and can get along easily with all kinds of people, you can consider a career in the cabin crew of commercial planes as an air hostess or steward.
An air hostess has many responsibilities on a plane. She greets every passenger, guides each to his or her seat and settles them in, coordinates security, and much more. Women usually prefer this career although men can do the same job and are called ‘stewards’.
Skills & Attributes
Following skills are essential for an air hostess for a successful career:
- Sense of responsibility
- Pleasing personality
- Presence of mind and initiative
- Good physique
- Patience to work long hours
- Systematic approach towards duty
- Good appearance
- Communication and interactive skills
- Language proficiency
- Pleasant voice
- Team spirit
- Positive attitude
- Sense of humour
- Mastery in spoken English and other foreign languages as required
- 18 – 26 years of age
- 10+2 with degree in hospitality, or other graduate degree
- Height of min 160cm centimetres,Weight proportionate to the height
- Eligible for an Indian Passport
- Good health
- Fair to clear complexion
There will be an initial screening followed by a written test, group discussion and personal interviews. Accepted candidates are put through necessary training in relevant procedures.
Career Scope & Job Prospects
Studying and skill development is a constant thing in this career, especially if you’re angling for promotions. After about 10 years as an air hostess, you would be moved to jobs such as Ground Hostess, Check Hostess, or other airline related jobs.
Though airlines usually advertise for recruits, individuals may send in applications on their own initiative.